stearns county - minnesota
To provide assistance with implementing a well established animal feedlot program and County zoning ordinances by conducting evaluations and inspections of feedlots and processing permits. This position is responsible for determining and evaluating overall compliance of animal feedlots in conjunction with zoning ordinances, state rules, and federal laws.
These examples do not include all possible responsibilities in this position and do not limit the assignment of related duties to this classification.
1. Assists with implementing, enforcing, and maintaining compliance with County ordinances, state rules, federal laws, and policies related to feedlots.
2. Conducts site evaluations and inspections of animal feedlots; processes permits, and reviews manure management plans and manure application records.
3. Reviews applications and issues permits; assists clients with processing variance and Conditional Use Permit requests and Interim Use Permits when necessary.
4. Assists with the development and revision of feedlot ordinances.
5. Collaborates with lakeshore associations, farm organizations, schools, and other client groups to assist in the development and implementation of Stearns County's Comprehensive Plan.
6. Assists with administration of the Local Water Management plans and the Feedlot Grant by coordinating annual reporting and program auditing.
7. Assesses animal feedlot compliance and conformance to zoning ordinances, state rules, and federal laws.
8. Participates in department program planning.
9. Partners with government agencies and private consultants to assist in permitting feedlots at county, state, and federal levels.
10. Assists with enforcement actions in collaboration with the County Attorney's Office to ensure feedlot owners comply with ordinances, rules, and statutes.
11. Serves as a member of the Minnesota Association of County Feedlot Officers and other state committees.
12. Coordinates and participates in environmental educational activities; develops educational materials.
13. Assists with preparing, submitting, and monitoring grants, contracts, and reports.
14. Attends work regularly and in a timely manner.
15. Performs other duties as assigned or apparent.
Minimum Qualifications and Desirable Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Bachelor's degree or higher in environmental studies, biology, farm management, agronomy, soil science, animal science, or similar field, and two years of related experience. Must possess a valid Minnesota Drivers License or ability to obtain within 30 days of employment and reliable transportation to travel to multiple locations around Stearns County, some of which may not be accessible by public transportation.
Preferred Experience Beyond Minimum Qualifications:
experience working with the survey and/or design of agricultural management practices or pollution abatement structures; working with Geographic Information Systems (GIS) or Global Positioning Systems (GPS) technology; writing technical reports; working with manure management planning or manure record keeping; working with soils or groundwater; working with the principles of land use management or administering planning or zoning programs; working with livestock producers and local units of government and using Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint and Dynamic CRM.
Desirable Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
1. Knowledge of environmental legislation and the legislative process.
2. Knowledge of animal agriculture.
3. Knowledge of environmental health issues.
4. Knowledge of basic engineering principles associated with agricultural management practices.
5. Knowledge of development and land use controls and soil and groundwater issues.
6. Ability to write clear, concise technical reports.
7. Ability to negotiate effectively.
8. Ability to collaborate and coordinate activities efficiently with other staff and a broad client base.
9. Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
10. Ability to exercise sound judgment in the decision-making process.
11. Ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing.
Accountabilities, Work Environment and Extent of Supervision or Guidance Provided:
Accountabilities Shared By All Employees
1. Performs job responsibilities in a manner consistent with the County's vision, mission and values.
2. Develops and maintains a thorough working knowledge of all department and County-wide policies, protocols and procedures that apply to the performance of this position.
3. Develops respectful and cooperative working relationships with co-workers.
4. Informs immediate supervisor of all important matters pertaining to assigned job responsibilities.
5. Seeks opportunities for further personal growth and development.
6. Represents the County in a professional manner to all internal and external contacts when doing the County's business.
7. Complies with all rules and policies in order to maintain a safe work environment.
Work Environment and Physical Demands
The primary responsibilities for this position will be performed approximately 60% of the time indoors and approximately 40% of the time outdoors. Will require frequent travel to off-site locations and minimal attendance at evening meetings. Will have some exposure to health hazards and accidents; requires a low level of physical effort, and walks over uneven ground while performing field work.
Extent of Supervision or Guidance Provided
Work is performed under the general supervision of the Agriculture and Water Resources Division Supervisor.
Responsibility for Public Contact
Supervision of Others
Salary and Hours of Work, Testing and Interview Dates:
$26.4594/hour (Grade 20, Teamsters – General Unit)
Full Salary Range
$26.4594-$38.8343/hour (Grade 20, Teamsters – General Unit)
Hours of Work
This position has a usual work schedule of 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday; may include some evening and weekend hours.
If you are selected to be interviewed for this position, interviews will be held on Tuesday, May 8, 2018. Invitations to interview will be based upon an assessment of education and experience. If a college degree is required for this position, an official sealed college transcript must be presented at the time of interview. A job specific physical, drug and/or psychological exam may be required before appointment.
stearns county - minnesota
Website : http://www.co.stearns.mn.us